5 Reasons to Vacation With Your Dog in Los Angeles, California
The days are longer and the temperatures are warmer, which means one thing—summer is in full swing! Summer is a great time to hit the road with your family and take a much-needed (and well-deserved) vacation. And for pup parents, it’s the ideal time to vacation with your dog.
If you’re taking a vacation with your dog this summer, there are few better destinations than the City of Angels—Los Angeles, California. Dog-friendly Los Angeles is a must-visit for travelers and their pups; the weather is perfect, there’s plenty to explore and there are a ton of cool places in LA and its surrounding areas to take your dog.
“Los Angeles is the ultimate pet-friendly destination offering memorable experiences for every member of the family, including our furry companions,” says Jamie Foley, vice president of global communications for Discover Los Angeles. “Whether looking for dog-friendly hotels … alfresco dining options, trails … or beaches, LA has it all.”
Here are five reasons to make your next vacation with your dog a trip to Los Angeles.
1. There’s a Wide-Selection of Dog-Friendly Hotels
One of the biggest obstacles when traveling with your pup can be finding dog-friendly hotels. But in LA, that’s not a problem.
Whether you’re staying on the East Side or West Side, Hollywood or Malibu, you can easily find a hotel that will welcome you and your pup with open arms. Here are some of the best dog-friendly hotels in Los Angeles:
- The Kimpton Everly Hotel in Hollywood provides pet-specific amenities at check-in, like a plush loaner bed and a list of nearby pet-friendly attractions. They even have a pet-friendly nightly wine reception!
- The Fairmont Miramar Hotel and Bungalows, which is just steps away from iconic Santa Monica State Beach, welcomes pups at no extra charge.
- The Beverly Wilshire is one of the most iconic hotels in LA (it’s where Pretty Woman was filmed!) and one of the most dog-friendly; the staff will make sure your room is stocked with a bed, dog bowls and plenty of treats.
2. There’s Plenty of Pet-Friendly Restaurants
In addition to providing plenty of dog-friendly places to sleep, LA is home to great pet-friendly restaurants to grab a bite with your pup! Whether you’re in the mood for a casual burger or a more upscale meal with your four-legged friend, LA has got you covered.
Here are some pet-friendly restaurants you’ll want to check out in LA:
- Ashland Hill in Santa Monica hosts regular pet-centric events—called Yappy Hours—on their dog-friendly patio and features a menu specifically for pups (the dog friendly ice cream is a must try!).
- Plan Check Kitchen + Bar in the Sawtelle neighborhood of West Los Angeles has some of the best burgers in town—and one of the most dog-friendly patios.
- Just a quick 5-minute drive from the Los Angeles Zoo, Golden Road Brewing has a “doggy deck” where pups can relax on the AstroTurf and munch on dog treats while you enjoy a selection of local beers.
3. You Can Go Hiking With Dogs on Amazing Trails
If you’re the outdoorsy type, you won’t find a better city to explore with your pup than LA. There are so many opportunities for hiking with dogs that your biggest challenge will be narrowing down your choices.
Here are some top picks for the best dog-friendly hikes in LA:
- Runyon Canyon, one of LA’s most popular hikes, is a favorite with locals and their pups. It even offers a view of the Hollywood sign.
- For incredible views of the ocean, head to Temescal Canyon in Pacific Palisades, and keep your eyes peeled for the seasonal waterfall (which should be flowing if it’s rained recently). Be sure to read the signs, though, since dogs are not allowed in some areas of the park.
- Grab your pup, head to Griffith Park and take the trail to Griffith Observatory, one of LA’s most iconic buildings. You’ll also get great views of the Hollywood sign.
4. You Can Enjoy the Beach With Your Pup
Nothing says vacation quite like relaxing on the beach. And in the LA-area, you can relax on the beach with your canine companion by your side!
While you can’t take your dog to every beach in Los Angeles County, there’s plenty of prime oceanfront real estate to explore together. Here are some dog-friendly beaches you’ll want to check out during your trip:
- Rosie’s Dog Beach is a stretch of coastline in Long Beach’s Belmont Shore neighborhood where you can let your dog run free—no leash required. Just make sure your pup is trained to listen and respond to voice commands.
- North Beach at Leo Carrillo State Park in Malibu allows leashed pups on the sand.
- While you can’t bring your dog on the beach in Santa Monica, pups are welcome on the Beach Trail, which offers great views of Pacific Ocean and the Santa Monica Pier.
5. You Can Shop With Your Pet
If you want to get your shop on, LA has fabulous opportunities to indulge in retail therapy—with your pup in tow. The City of Angels is known for its outdoor shopping pavilions, and many are dog-friendly.
There are plenty of cool places in LA for your pup—from the dog-friendly hotels and the epic hikes to the pet-friendly eateries and outdoor shopping. It’s no surprise that dog-friendly Los Angeles is one of the best places you can vacation with your four-legged friend.
By Deanna DeBara
Featured Image: via oneinchpunch/Shutterstock