Once you bring a rabbit (or two) home, along with all of the necessary bunny supplies to house your new indoor rabbit, the next step is to name your new pet. If you got your rabbit from a shelter or rescue, it’s likely he has a name, but it’s your choice whether or not to rename your pet.
The naming possibilities are nearly endless as inspiration can come from almost anything. Do you want a rabbit name that suits your pet’s personality? Do you want a rabbit name that highlights how your pet looks? Do you want a rabbit name that fits in with a theme? Do you want a rabbit name that honors a family member or friend, or is just a people name that you particularly like?
You could also opt for a rabbit name plucked from pop culture or choose one based on meaning. Or what about a rabbit name that is just made up? These are just some of the many things to think about when choosing the name of your new four-legged friend.
Top 10 Male or Female Rabbit Names
We polled more than 9,000 small animal pet owners, more than 2,000 of which were rabbit owners. The following are the top names for all rabbits. A few extra are in there, as some names were a tie.
- Bun/Bun Bun/Bunn Bunn
- Coco/Cocoa/Co-Co and Daisy/Daisy Mae/Daisy May (tie)
- Baby, Bella, Bugs/Bugz/Buggs/Buggz/Bugsy/Bugzy, Marshmallow/Marshmellow and Lillie/Lilly/Lily (tie)
Inspiration For Rabbit Names
But what if those top 10 rabbit names aren’t names that suit your new rabbit? Or what if you want something completely different?
A name can be literally anything, but if you’re stumped on where to start, try out some of the following categories to jumpstart your creative thinking.
This includes anything from movies to books, like the “The Velveteen Rabbit,” to television shows to cartoons to songs and more. Below are some of our favorites:
- Bugs Bunny (Cartoon)
- Jon Snow (“Game of Thrones”)
- Arya (“Game of Thrones)
- Blue Ivy (Beyonce and Jay-Z’s baby’s name)
- Java (Josh Halloway’s baby’s name)
- Elsa (Frozen)
- Dexter (TV show)
- Bella (Twilight)
- Edward (Twilight)
Another name option is to go with ancient Greek or Roman gods. For example:
Mother Nature is one of the biggest inspirations around. There’s so much you can pull from in nature that subcategories are needed for this category. Consider the following with a few examples for each:
- Weather: Cloud, Snow, Storm, Misty, Raindrop, Snowflake, Windy
- Flowers: Daisy, Rose, Daffodil
- Plants: Clover, Fern, Ivy, Chive
- Gems: Diamond, Topaz, Opal, Pearl, Ruby
- Metals: Copper, Silver, Gold
- Trees: Aspen, Willow, Juniper
- Planets: Venus, Mars, Jupiter
- Stars: Betelgeuse, Rigel, Antares
- Other Animals: Moose, Bear, Chipmunk
- Seasons: Summer, Spring, Winter, Fall/Autumn
- Times of Day: Midnight, Twilight, Dawn
Here are some words for noise or movement that could also make a great name for your new rabbit.
If you don’t want to name your rabbit after someone you know or someone famous, but you do want to use a name traditionally used by people, here (in alphabetical order) are some of the more common people names used for rabbits.
Names of Colors
When in doubt, name your new pet rabbit after the color of his fur or one that just sounds cool and unique. Here are some choices below:
You could name your rabbit after his favorite food (make sure you only feed your rabbit food that is safe to eat). Or, you can just name him after yourfavorite food.
- Fruit: Strawberry, Lemon, Kumquat, Kiwi, Peaches
- Candy: Skittles, Marshmallow, Snickers, Twix, Caramel
- Spice: Salt, Pepper, Sage, Chive, Thyme
- Cookies: Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, Macaroon
- Desserts: Sherbet, Strudel, Pudding, Brownie
- Snacks: Popcorn, Chips, Pretzel, Twinkie
- Condiments: Pickles, Mustard, Chutney, Brown Sugar
- Soups: Minestrone, Chowder, Bisque
- Vegetable: Carrot, Pumpkin, Radish, Arugula, Lettuce, Zucchini
- Wines: Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir
- Nuts: Cashew, Pistachio, Almond
- Drinks: Mocha, Latte, Milkshake
- Bread: Muffin, Pumpernickel, Baguette
Adding A Dash Of Distinction
Some people enjoy creating especially long names for their pet. Something along the lines of Sir Humphrey Who-Eats-Bananas of Hoppington Hollow. If that seems a bit much, perhaps you just want to add an honorific like Mr., Mrs., Miss, Sir, Lady or Lord. You can also opt to add an actual title like Prince, Princess, Queen or King. After all, your pet is whatever you choose him or her to be in your realm.
I hope this got your mind brimming with ideas and you soon find the perfect name for your rabbit pal! Once you have the name nailed down, don’t forget to pick up all of the necessary rabbit supplies. Product essentials include rabbit pellets; hay; treats and toys. And of course you’ll need a cage or habitat. MidWest’s Wabbitat Deluxe Rabbit Home, for example, comes with a hay feeder, water bottle and feeding bowl. Add Kaytee’s Clean & Cozy animal bedding to the cage to create a comfy home for your new four-legged friend.
After the name, comes the essentials. If you’re looking for care tips for your new rabbit, check out:
How to Litter Train a Rabbit
New Pet Rabbit: Here’s How to Care for a Bunny
Rabbit Food List: What Fruits and Vegetables Are Safe for Rabbits?