The universal birthday for shelter dogs is August 1—and what better way to celebrate than with a DIY dog birthday cake for your very own rescue pup? The observance, called DOGust, is dedicated to shelter pets whose birthdays aren’t always known, so rescue dogs can have their day to celebrate.
This easy DIY dog treat recipe is the perfect way to surprise your canine companion with some birthday fun, and it only takes just 25 minutes to make! And what doggy birthday celebration would be complete with a birthday hat, like this birthday cake dog hat by Frisco.
Every dog has its day, so make sure your dog’s is extra special with this DIY birthday cake for dogs.
- ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP. organic plain Greek yogurt
- 4 ½ tsp organic cream cheese
- 1 TBSP blueberries
- Spray cooking oil
- *splash of water
- Mortar and pestle
- 3-inch round metal cookie cutter
- 2 medium size mixing bowls
- 1 medium pan
- 1 plate
- 1 spatula
- 1 whisk
- 1 mixing spoon
- Butter knife
Yield: 2 cakes, 8 portions
Serving size: ¼ cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- Add almond milk, egg, and flour into bowl and whisk until smooth (there should be no lumps and should resemble pancake batter consistency).
- Place medium pan over medium heat.
- Place 3-inch round cookie cutter on pan. Spray inside area of cookie cutter with non-stick cooking oil.
- Pour batter into cookie cutter until about 1/2 inch thick in height.
- After two minutes, or when bubbles start to form on the perimeter of the cake layer, remove cookie cutter with tongs (Caution: Cookie cutter will be very hot), and flip layer over with your tongs.
- After about one minute, remove the layer from the pan and put it on a separate plate to cool.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for other five cake layers.
- Add blueberries into a mortar and crush with pestle until a gel forms.
- Add a splash of water and 1 TBSP. of Greek yogurt into medium sized bowl with crushed blueberries and mix with spoon until yogurt takes on a pink appearance.
- Add thick layer of frosting mix to the top of one of the cake layers, then add another cake layer on top of that.
- Repeat step 10 so you are left with a three layer cake.
- Add organic cream cheese and remaining Greek yogurt into new medium size bowl and mix with a spoon until evenly distributed.
- Using butter knife, ice the outside of the cake (the top and the sides) with this mixture.
- Add four blueberries to the top of the cake so each slice gets a blueberry (there are four slices).
- Cut the cake into quarters and serve a slice to the birthday boy or girl!
This recipe was reviewed by a veterinarian. It is intended as a treat or snack. Treats should only constitute a small percentage of your pet’s daily food. If your pet has any other health issues, or if you have any concerns, consult your pet’s veterinarian before offering this food item.
Samantha and Charlie are the proud dog parents of Royce, a French Bulldog rescue who loves cuddling on the couch and literally anything he can sink his teeth into. Samantha is the web editor for Chewy’s three digital publications—petMD, Pet Central and ReptilesMagazine—and Charlie is a professional chef with a degree from the Culinary Institute of America. This dog-loving couple combined forces to bring the Chewy community culinary delights tailored for your canine companions.
All Images by Chewy Studios