3 DIY Cleaning Products That Fight Pet Stains and Odors
Spring has sprung, and that means getting rid of pet stains and odors in your home during your spring cleaning spree. If you’re a pet parent, you may be familiar with how messy our beloved four-legged friends can get. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of three essential DIY pet cleaning products to help deep clean your home:
- A cleaner for floors, carpets and counters
- A pet stain remover
- A carpet deodorizer/odor eliminator
These homemade cleaners will help you get that pee smell out of the carpet and remove pet stains. They’re ideal for spring cleaning but also can be used year-round. If you have a multi-pet household or have a pet with incontinence issues, these DIY cleaning solutions will be your new go-to products.
1. DIY Essential Oil Cleaner for Floors, Carpets and Counters
Essential oils pack a powerful punch when it comes to cleaning. Most essential oils have antibacterial and antiviral properties while maintaining a pleasant aroma. This makes essential oils wonderful cleaning agents. Quality matters so choose high-quality, pure, organic essential oils, and make sure you dilute them properly.
WARNING: Essential oils can be toxic to cats. DO NOT use this DIY solution in cat households. Also note that not all essential oils are safe for dogs. Do not apply this solution directly to your dog; it’s for the cleaning of surfaces only.
What You Need:
- A 16-ounce glass amber spray bottle (essential oils are best kept in glass amber containers)
- Pure, organic, high-quality, unadulterated essential oil, such as
- Apple cider vinegar (optional)
- Distilled or filtered water
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of distilled or filtered water with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar in the amber glass bottle. If you are not using any apple cider vinegar, you can fill the entire bottle with water.
- Add in 2-3 drops of each essential oil.
- Place the spray bottle lid on tightly and shake well.
- Use on carpets, floors and counters; be sure to shake up the cleaner before each use. Spot test the cleaner before using it on large surfaces, like carpets.
- Keep in the refrigerator for added freshness.
2. DIY Pet Stain Remover
Ever brought your dog home from a walk and had his dirty paws stain your couch or carpet? Here’s the solution! This pet stain remover works on carpets and fabric furniture. Not only will it remove stains but also freshen up your carpet or furniture.
What You Need:
- The DIY essential oil mixture from above
- Warm, soapy water (use clear liquid soap)
- A magic eraser sponge
- A dry hand towel or rag
- Spot test on the furniture or carpet.
- Spray the essential oil cleaner on the stain and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Take your magic eraser sponge and dip it into the soapy warm water.
- Slowly and lightly rub the stain.
- Use the hand towel or rag to blot away excess water from the sponge.
- Repeat these steps until the stain is no longer visible!
3. DIY Pet Odor Neutralizer
This homemade odor eliminator neutralizes pet urine and can work on multiple types of carpet that are low and high pile. If your carpet needs an extra deep clean to get rid of strong pet odors, follow up with a store-bought odor-neutralizing powder, like Arm & Hammer’s Pet Fresh Carpet Odor Eliminator.
What You Need:
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup distilled or filtered water
- Spray bottle
- Paper towel or rag
- Arm & Hammer’s Pet Fresh Carpet Odor Eliminator (optional)
- Vacuum (optional)
- Pour the vinegar and water into the spray bottle. Shake well to mix solution together.
- Spot test before using it on carpet.
- Spray the odor-filled area with the solution.
- Let the cleaner sit on the carpet for 5-10 minutes.
- Blot the cleaner with a paper towel or rag and let the area dry.
- Optional: Once the carpet area is dry, take the Arm & Hammer carpet odor eliminator and sprinkle the powder generously over the affected area. Let the powder sit in the carpet for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Vacuum up the powder and voilà! Your carpet should smell amazing with no hints of pet odor.